In the majority of situations messages will be delivered without any problems. However there can occasionally be problems that will cause a broadcast to fail and not be delivered to its recipient. Mail and SMS services will continue attempts to deliver messages in the event of an initial failure.
However if there is no success a failure message will be shown for each broadcast method relating to each recipient. Hovering over the failure message will display additional information about the failure which will generally include an error code.
Some common reasons for broadcasts not being sent are: incorrect email address, incorrect mobile number, unsupported country code for the mobile number and these should be checked first to ensure no mistakes have been made.
Below are some troubleshooting steps to establish why a SMS failed to deliver.
- Is the destination device powered on?
- Does the device have sufficient signal? If not power the device off, wait 30 seconds, and then power it back up.
- Is the device connected to the home carrier's network? We cannot guarantee message delivery on devices roaming internationally, or off-network.
- Can the device receive non-Sentinel SMS?
- Can other devices using the same mobile carrier receive the Sentinel SMS?
Below are the common error codes for when a SMS failed to deliver, which may appear when you hover over the failed message within the broadcast.
- Error 30005 "Message Delivery - Unknown destination handset": The destination carrier is reporting the To number is unknown, or no longer in service.
- Error 30003 "Message Delivery - Unreachable destination handset": The destination carrier is reporting the 'To' number is unreachable - the device is likely powered down, out of the service area, or may not accept your messages.
- Error 30008 "Message Delivery - Unknown error": The destination carrier has returned a generic error message.
- Error 30004 "Message Delivery - Message blocked": Your message has been blocked from reaching the destination.
- Error 30006 "Message Delivery - Landline or unreachable carrier": The destination is a landline phone, or the destination carrier can't be reached.
Sometimes a message will be sent and the status will appear to be stuck pending. Mail and SMS services will continue to attempt delivery but after 12 hours all pending statuses will be marked as failed.
If the broadcast fails after multiple attempts please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can investigate further. To aid our investigation please include the following.
- Broadcast type that is failing to send i.e. SMS, Email, In-App etc.
- Failure message including any error codes.
- Time and date the broadcast was sent.